Sunday, March 27, 2016

Lets Play Triathlon

= To be honest, I have been inconsistently writing these past few months because I have been stricken by a disease doctors are unable to treat - laziness :P

I have been watching triathlon for a couple of years, even being an actual spectator whenever I get the chance to but never tried participating myself. That is why a few months ago, I registered for a standard (road) distance event - 1.5km open water swim, 40km cycling and 10km running. I will post another entry for that one after completing (if I manage to complete).

The event today suddenly just appeared out of nowhere, and it was a blessing! I get to try what everything feels like from Pre-race, Swim, Transition 1, Cycling, Transition 2, Running and Post-race. The event is a sprint distance which translates to 800m swim(6 feet deep pool), ~23k cycling and ~7km running. The event is quite small 160 participants (2 did not finish).

The main goal for this event is something like a "getting-to-know" and a fun race, try all three sports at one go at an event and feel the energy, the excitement, and probably the suffering!

Unfortunately felt only a little bit of excitement, why? Its like running my first 10km fun run, it did not excite me as from what I felt was it was too short. The same feeling I get with running, I can join 10km or even 21km with no second thoughts but when asked about 3km or 5km I will be hesitant.

The reason behind - my body is unable to produce enough power to achieve these fast races (probably because I dont train and a little bit of genetics). However, I believe it can take a lot for endurance.

Going back to the topic, the setting up of the transition was schedule at 5am, so I left home before 4:00am as I needed to cycle to the event venue which was about (my initial estimate was 30km, after I checked my cyclo computer after reaching the venue it hit) 16km from my house, so My estimates was supposedly correct as I will arriving in the venue with a cruising speed of 20-25kph with enough time allowance to do extra stuff. However I forgot one key item to consider during my estimation - breakfast! After leaving my place, headed straight to McDonalds as it was the 24hour place to get some food and ate quickly as poosible! 

With time running out I had to change plan need to go minimum of 30kph never mind the race, I am doing it only for fun anyway! So I rocketed through the streets and actually found nice places to do ITTs (Individual Time Trial). These roads were deserted during this time frame, just need to be careful and slowdown from time to time as they are full of junctions, might get hit by a fast car or even a truck which is damn scary! It was one helluva warm-up, my pre-race jitters were gone, thanks to Uncle B's for the advise!

Arrived around 5:00am at the venue, and the transition area was not yet opened. My friends and I were the first ones to do the setup! I took my time in setting up my area from towels, cycling and running gear. Just used my stock knowledge on know how to regulars and professionals do their setup, since I have been following triathlon for quite a while. I made sure everything is okay as mistakes at the transition will cost a lot of time!

My Transition Area

The gun-start was around 6:30, each participant enters the pool in 10 second intervals. The order was determined during the registration process where participants are required to submit an "estimated time finish". My group of friends registered somewhere December, if not mistaken. At that time I DID NOT KNOW HOW TO SWIM YET (including when I registered for the my "A-Race", will be in another post), I can barely finish 25 meters without stopping!

The swim course was simple, its a 6 feet deep Olympic pool with 8 lanes and each lane is further divided into 2. The idea is to start in the right most lane and navigate through all the sub-lanes and finish at the left most lane. That is a total of 800 meters.

I was number 99, it took a while before it was my turn to head to the pool. My strategy was simple, go drafting as it will make everything easier! The person in front will take all the effort to move the water aside and I go follow the streamline :P I had time to watch how the other participants swim, it was a big advantage! I saw most of them exert a lot - really a lot of effort during the first 50 meters and slow down right after and eventually really slowing down for the rest of the swim portion. I got the hint from my friends who were regulars in this event. They gave me that important reminder not to let the race take over my thoughts and just swim normally.


When I heard the whistle I jumped out and dived as opposed to most of the participants who just stayed in the water while waiting and kicked from the wall. It saved me a few seconds and energy as diving gives a lot of momentum compared to kicking the wall.

In about 15 meters through the swim, I caught up with the person before me and tried to draft behind him and realizing we dont match pace, as I kept touching his feet. I believe this is possibly the benefit of drafting :P So I went ahead and tried to pass him but realized there was another person just in front of him, I needed to let out a burst of energy to pass 2 people using the middle portion of the lane. Was able to successfully pass them and reach the 50 meter mark but when I looked to my right it was a different person! I guess, I exerted too much effort to pass more people without noticing and I tried to gasp air and rest for a second before kicking out to the next lane.

The passing consumed a too much energy than planned! Made the mistake that I was trying to avoid! I went back to my normal pace and just swam and swam. As I reached the second lane the water was so choppy as it felt like swimming in the ocean, splashing here and there hands and feet everywhere, it was harder to breath as I normally breath just exactly above the water line, I kept drinking a lot of water. I needed to adapt to the situation and change how I breath, I had to turn my head and body a bit more to gasp for air! As we progressed through the swim the participants started to slow down and eventually passed some of them.

At about the 6th lane I started to feel fatigue and slowed down this is because my swimming is still not good enough. I am unable to hold it for too long as my heart beats like similar to a rat's, it beats so fast because my technique is still inefficient! At the last lane I rested for at least 3 seconds before kicking out - the fatigue has taken its toll. After a few more minutes I managed to finished at once piece, that was fun! As I exit through the pool, for a second I though I looked like Ronald McDonald with a humongous smile stuck to the face :))

I ran to Transition 1 with so much joy, felt like dancing while heading towards the area. I SURVIVED! At the transition, slowly did everything as I heard a lot of nightmares at the transition, where sunglasses, water bottles and even helmets are left and people need to retrieve them back as they cannot proceed with cycling without those. There are even stories where people still wear their goggles and swim cap for all three legs!

As I ran out of the area with my cycling stuff and and my shoes, I was thinking of doing a flying mount (video below). But never practiced before so plan cancelled, as I do not want to crash and damage the bike and regret over that decision!



Exiting T1
The cycling leg is a two loop course which covers a lot of junctions which was a very confusing and because there are no visible arrows and the marshals have low visibility. I went the wrong way and got briefly lost because of that. I was taking my time during the start of the this leg, people riding MTBs were passing me and just ignored the urged to race. Just casually cycling around and watching everybody I see (and looking for pretty ladies :P unfortunately, saw none LOL!) Until my friends who started earlier and finished faster from the swim leg passed me on their second loop and they were drafting from one another! The instinct of racing took over, the plan to play around was set aside! I followed their small peloton and maintained a speed of 38-40kph for about more or less 10 kilometers. I cannot maintain this speed, as my comfortably hard pace is about 30kph only! Good thing they we need to split up as they completed their second loop already and I am still starting mine! After parting ways I just continued to do my comfortably hard pace since I already started "racing" anyway.

Entering T2

As I was about to finish the cycling leg I attempted to do a flying dismount but overshot the dismount area, last second change I just remove my shoes while on the bike, stop and jump over!

I went through the slow transition phase again where I made sure everything is okay before leaving T2. As it is well known that it has been extremely hot lately I removed my cycling jersey and proceeded to run! My feet were acting as expected, wobbly due to over exerting through the cycling leg, even had side stitches and cramps along the run leg also. The results of zero training are now unfolding!

About 4 kilometers through the run, I was looking for the said water station in the middle part of the route and never encountered it. I kept asking all the marshals I passed by and they said no more water stations! At the back of my head, "WTF!? This is the first triathlon that there is no water station on the run leg, not a single one! ". I was fuming with hatred to the organizer, they even mentioned at the race briefing a little while ago.

Oh well that is life, I just needed to slow down and be mentally tough even the temperatures are beginning to rise! It is just 7km run only, I can run about 10km without water before feeling the effects of dehydration, assuming the temperature will increase slowly for an hour.

Upon reaching the landmark which indicates the finish line is just at the building's parking lot, I was shocked what I saw - a steep downhill which I assume was 40-60 degrees! This is gonna hurt ;( Planned to go slowly as possible as I would prefer to lose time rather than get injured.

Yay Finished!

The finish line is located far away from T2 where all our stuff is waiting for the participants. This is very inconvenient as it is a logistical nightmare as we still need to get back to T2 and pack our stuff before going home. Though it was a nightmare, it was also an advantage as I needed to rest as I have to cycle 16 kilometers back home, while carrying a heavy bag on my back!


Going Home


Now I am pumped up for the next race! Way to early to have pre-race jitters!
Until my next post, see ya! Thanks for reading :)


Image 1, 4, 5 are from Mr. CCT while Image 2 and 3 is  from Mr. HHC

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Karl! Stay consistent and everything will fall into place. Stop with the disclaimers, just breathe deeply, close your eyes and register - you completed your first standard distanced triathlon so now you know you can. Swimming,biking and running = TRIathlon - keyword is TRI. You`ll always be faster than the ones who chose to stay on the couch

    ReplyDelete